Message from Gay Cunningham
AAUW of Utah President
Dear Members and Friends of AAUW-Utah
I am excited to be President of AAUW-Utah for this year! And what a year 2020 has been!
While Covid-19 has drastically altered the way, we interact and do our work, the importance of our work has not changed. I am appreciative and take note of the passion and actions taken around our National Initiatives of Gender Equity and Economic Security. Since women first received the right to vote 100 years ago we have certainly come a long way, but, we know that in the State of Utah, we have a long way to go to close the gap in gender equity including pay. It is not acceptable to be dead last in our nation.
It is my desire that AAUW-Utah be united, visible and vocal in making positive changes advancing women in our communities, state and country. Join in supporting your local branches, volunteer your time, participate in local events (virtual works!) and give what you financially can. We have a great legacy. Now, let’s use this experience to lay a foundation that lifts women to new possibilities!
Thank you in advance for all you do!
President, AAUW of Utah 2020-2021
Message from Teri Jewell,
AAUW of Utah President
2019 – 2020
AAUW of Utah has three active branches: Salt Lake City, Wasatch and St. George. Each branch works on projects to support the mission of AAUW, to advance equity for girls and women through education and training. And we work in coalitions with other women’s groups to achieve shared goals.
- 99th year of Women’s Suffrage was celebrated in August with members from all Branches attending.
- A German wine tasting, fundraising event took place on November 4th at Holladay United Church of Christ. A night of German food, wine and music to raise money for AAUW funds sponsored by AAUW, Wasatch Branch.
- On January 11, 2020, the annual Legislative Forum provided time for four Utah state legislators to give an overview of the 2020 Legislative session. The Forum is a collaboration of Salt Lake City and Wasatch branches along with the League of Women Voters.
- Also, in January Real Women Run held their Winter Training session on January 18th. AAUW supports this effort to get more women involved in running for elected office,
- From January to March, AAUW’s public policy members attended the Women’s State Legislative Council and the Women’s Coalition to keep on top of legislation that affects women and girls.
- AAUW of Utah participated in a Voting Rights Symposium on March 20th at Utah State University in Logan.
- And then Covid 19 hit: All meetings and the following were planned, but cancelled in person. ZOOM and websites became the venue for those events that went forward.
- Equal Pay Day: in April. St. George and Salt Lake branches usually hold events to raise awareness on how long it takes women to catch up to men’s wages.
- Our yearly convention to elect officers for the following year was postponed.
- Utah Women Artists Exhibition: scheduled to open May 7th, was cancelled. A website was created where all of the art can be viewed. The link is on this website at www.aauw-ut.aauw.net/artshow.
- The Rocky Mountain Regional Conference, scheduled for Ft. Collins, Colorado. Was held on ZOOM.
- AWE+SUM camp, a STEM camp for 8th grade girls takes place at Westminster College in June was cancelled.
- eSmart camp, a STEM camp will be held in St. George at Dixie State College during the summer were cancelled.
As well as the listed activities, each Branch has its own monthly meetings with interesting programs. See the individual branch pages for their meeting and program schedule. For 2020-2021 meetings are on zoom with interesting programs planned.
St. George Branch is very supportive of Legacy Circle, which is a way to leave money from an estate to AAUW, providing continued support and empowerment for women and girls. To learn more about the St. George branch go to https://aauw-stgeorge.org
AAUW of Utah is participating with other women’s organizations to finally get the Equal Rights Amendment ratified! We will be involved in various ways: lobbying, writing editorials, rallying, ZOOM meetings and webinars, and getting the information out to all.
We hope you find something of interest and will join us in our efforts to empower women and girls in the coming years. For more detailed information, contact one of the women below.
Teri Jewell, President, AAUW of Utah
Marilyn Shearer, Treasurer, AAUW of Utah