Message from the President
And the Board of Directors
AAUW of Utah has three active branches: Salt Lake City, Wasatch and St. George. Each branch works on projects to support the mission of AAUW, to advance equity for girls and women through education and training. And we work in coalitions with other women’s groups to achieve shared goals.
The 2019 – 2020 program year has many opportunities to become involved in AAUW.
- 99th year of Women’s Suffrage was celebrated in August with members from all Branches attending.
- A German wine tasting, fundraising event will take place on November 4th at Holladay United Church of Christ. A night of German food, wine and music to raise money for AAUW funds sponsored by AAUW, Wasatch Branch.
- On January 11, 2020, the annual Legislative Forum will provide time for four Utah state legislators to give an overview of the 2020 Legislative session. The Forum is a collaboration of Salt Lake City and Wasatch branches along with the League of Women Voters.
- Also, in January Real Women Run will have their Winter Training session on January 18th. AAUW supports this effort to get more women involved in running for elected office.
- From January to March, AAUW’s public policy members attend the Women’s State Legislative Council and the Women’s Coalition to keep on top of legislation that affects women and girls.
- AAUW of Utah will participate in a Voting Rights Symposium on March 20th at Utah State University in Logan.
- Equal Pay Day falls sometime in April. St. George and Salt Lake branches hold events to raise awareness on how long it takes women to catch up to men’s wages.
- Our yearly convention to elect officers for the following year will be held sometime in April or May.
- Utah Women Artists Exhibition will take place from May – June 2020 at the Utah Cultural Celebration Center. Opening May 7th at 6:00 with the Awards Reception, this biennial event highlights and provides a venue for the creative talents of women. Artist’s may submit entries beginning October 17th 2019. More info at www.aauw-ut.aauw.net/artshow
- The Rocky Mountain Regional Conference will be held June 19 – 21 in Ft. Collins, Colorado.
- AWE+SUM camp, a STEM camp for 8th grade girls takes place at Westminster College in June.
- eSmart camp, a STEM camp will be held in St. George at Dixie State College during the summer.
As well as the listed activities, each Branch has its own monthly meetings with interesting programs. See the individual branch pages for their meeting and program schedule.
St. George Branch is very supportive of Legacy Circle, which is a way to leave money from an estate to AAUW, providing continued support and empowerment for women and girls. To learn more about the St. George branch go to https://aauw-stgeorge.org.
This year, AAUW is participating with other women’s organizations to finally get the Equal Rights Amendment ratified! We will be involved in various ways: lobbying, writing editorials, rallying, and getting the information out to all.
We hope you find something of interest and will join us in our efforts to empower women and girls in the coming year. For more detailed information, contact one of the women below.
Teri Jewell, President, AAUW of Utah
Marilyn Shearer, Treasurer, AAUW of Utah